16 March 2010

Getting a feel for my research project 16/3

After a week and a half, today I finally managed to get a feeling of where to start on my honours-project. I have known for some days now what it is all supposed to end up with, but the starting point was somewhat blurred, perhaps because my supervisor does not really know the software that I will be working with, doing Monte Carlo simulations. I have spend around 9½ hours at uni for the past two days, but I have actually enjoyed staying late in spite of major computer issues (that I have now given up on, and written an email to the computer guy at the department). Next week I have my first mid-term test, things are getting serious now, and time management will be quite crucial for me if I want to spend a week or two off during the April break (2-25/4). It should all be possible though, and my supervisor told me today that he was confident that I would do well, especially since I am concerned about my time management. Apparently this is not a common thing to worry about after three years of tertiary studies here, which seems a bit strange to me. Who knows, maybe I am just way too serious about my studies…

I have been working on being released from my contract at the Ilam Village, since I do not see the point in staying here when I can rent a one bedroom apartment for the same amount of money as I am paying to stay here. It turns out that this is a major thing, and could cost me a penalty of up to 8 weeks rent plus $500, which would add up to something just short of $2500. I am meeting with the community manager on Thursday to figure out what options I have; he said today that it might be possible to be released by the end of the semester without having to pay the penalty. The ridiculous part of the whole thing is that every case is considered individually, and the penalty can differ with each case. I am thinking about consulting the student association to ask them whether they know of similar cases; being new to the country and the standard practice of renting property does not make it any easier to tell if I am being treated unreasonably (or even illegally), and I might just as well take advantage of the student association being present with the sole purpose of helping out students.
If I am going to stay here until the end of the semester (which will probably be the solution if the penalty really is $2500), I will see what options I have of moving to another flat. 4 flatmates is just a bit too much for me, often when I go to bed around 23.00, someone is just about to start making diner. The noise is not really keeping me awake, but it is just loud enough to irritate me anyway. Besides, it would make quite a difference being moved away from the ground floor, having to share a tiny fridge with less people, and maybe there is an opportunity of moving in with other postgraduates who are serious about their studies as well. All this is just speculations at this point, Thursday morning I will hopefully be able to make the right, informed choice on what to do.

In the weekend I went bouldering with the university climbing club. This was a slightly strange experience, and I was reminded that bouldering is not really my kind of climbing. Partying until 3 in the morning was not really my thing either this weekend, but people were nice and easy-going, and I got my introduction to the infamous Sheffield meat pies – pretty good stuff, I must say, but not something I could eat every day. After all, I do not think I will be spending much time in the climbing club, but this is perfectly fine since I have signed up for more clubs than the time allows me to get properly involved in. The really cool thing is that I can borrow climbing gear for free as a member, which pretty much justifies being a member even if I do not participate in the trips they organise.


Next weekend I will either be tramping or studying, hoping to do the other thing the following weekend. During the April break I am planning on doing a week of white water kayaking, plus a 4-5 day tramp. I am not sure yet if I will be tramping alone or with somebody, but I promise to stick to one of the great walks (or something equally busy) if I am going solo!

No comments:

Post a Comment