13 January 2010

Picton, 13/1 21.00

Today we reached the South Island! The crossing of Cook Strait went quite easy, and a curious thing about the ferry between the North and South Island is that you actually don’t travel north or south to go from the one island to the other. We arrived at noon, went to the Top 10 campsite and pitched our tents while some bought our lunch. The afternoon was without any planned activities, and I decided to go for a run on my own, do a bit of laundry and take a walk in Picton and buy a bit to eat and drink while driving around in the bus tomorrow. It was a pleasure to be on my own running and walking for an hour and a half, to just let the thoughts wander off and not have to be considerate to anyone. Not that I mind traveling in a group, but I really need my privacy once in a while, and it can be quite hard to find in between 21 other persons on the campsites.

Yesterday was spent driving from Whakapapa to Wellington. We got up to a morning that was just as freezing cold as the evening before, had breakfast and started the 5 hour drive to the capital. After a few stops, including lunch, we arrived in Wellington around 4PM and had two hours on our own in town before we headed to the campsite 13 km away from the city centre. I had to spend that time buying diner, but had enough time to go for a walk and visit a couple of outdoor stores to see if anything good was on sale – which was not the case. We arrived at the campsite at 7PM, and I started cooking immediately in order for diner to be served at 8PM (barbequed lamb and beef, which seemed to please the audience). Some of us had a few drinks on the campsite, and we went to bed at around 23.30.

This morning we got up around 6AM, some had a fast breakfast before leaving for the Interislander Ferry at 7. We arrived at the harbor, dumped our rented cars and got our baggage checked in before walking onto the ferry. At 11.30AM we arrived in Picton to a warmer day than on the North Island, got three new rented cars and moved on to the campsite.

Looking back on the first week, what strikes me is the amazing landscapes. Forests all over, some almost like jungles, hills and mountains, volcanoes and rivers – more beautiful and diverse than I could ever imagine. I am sure that I will soon feel at home in these surroundings, even though I am missing all the people I left in Denmark. My room at Ilam Apartments seems to be absolutely safe now, rent has been paid for the first 10 months and from February 5th I have my very own place again for the first time in 6 months – lovely!

Tomorrow we are driving to Nelson and Motueka to prepare for a three day trip in kayaks. I am a bit worried that my legs will cause me trouble in the kayak, but I'll keep my spirits high and hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment